Tuesday, May 1, 2012

What is a critique partner?

Try googling what a critique partner is and you'll find all kinds of answers. Generally, a critique partner is someone who willingly reads your writing and provides honest feedback that will both encourage and push you to write better. They'll tell you what's missing and what's working, and will (hopefully) be someone you can go to time and time again to discuss writing with.


All of that's pretty awesome, but I happen to think that my critique partners go above and beyond that basic definition. They're the kick-butt kind of amazing that keep me going even when I'm pretty sure I'd have given up already if I didn't have them.


So, when someone asks me what a critique partner is, lots and lots of things go through my mind. Below you will find just a few of those things.

To me, a critique partner is:

  • Someone who will read the same scenes from your manuscript so many times that neither of you are sure of the count;
  • Someone who will be completely and totally honest with their feedback, even if it sucks to hear it;
  • Someone who will listen to you whine about your writing and/or lack of writing;
  • Someone who knows the right moment to tell you to shut up when you're complaining too much;
  • Someone who can't stop thinking about your characters and calls/texts/emails you in the middle of the night with ideas and solutions for them;
  • Someone who never complains about your constant complaining and lack of confidence;
  • Someone that makes you write when you just don't want to;
  • Someone that will never let you give up, no matter how much you feel like it;
  • Someone, that after you've connected, you just can't imagine ever writing a book without.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that finding the right critique partners can be life changing in really great ways. I adore mine, and truly don't know what I'd do without them. So, to each of my critique partners, this one's for you! 

5 comments:

  1. Awww, you made me cry!!!! What would I do without you?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristi, you stole my sentiments! :) AWWW...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK...now you need to write a post about how to FIND an amazing critique partner ;) Because I would like to read that.

    ReplyDelete