Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Great Re-Write

The journey with my current WIP (work in progress for all of you non-writer types) began one Saturday morning in April as I was washing dishes. I was already working on an adult novel that I was iffy about but was having fun planning out but once this new idea popped into my head, the old book was no longer an option.

I spent the next months writing as much as I could and was thrilled to finish the first rough draft in October. I immediately thought, "Wow! I'm fast! I'll have this book done by the end of the year and start querying and then BAM! I'll have an incredible book deal!"

Luckily, I had the common sense not to send this first draft out without revising it.

Luckily, I took a few months off to really think about where I wanted this story to go.

Luckily, I have some really amazing writing partners and beta readers who have listened to me babble on and on about the story and where it should/could go.

Thanks to them, I am now totally rewriting my WIP. It needed it and I'm happy about it. The only negative thing is that I was about 75% done with revisions to the old version, so I'm essentially starting over. The part stings a little but I am confident that the story will be much better for it.

The lesson I've learned is that as a writer, I need to trust my instincts. I'm glad I did.

Oh, and my writing partners deserve a very large gift when this book is actually finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment