Friday, July 6, 2012

Review & Author Interview: WILD INK by Victoria Hanley


Please help me welcome the wonderful Victoria Hanley to my blog today! Victoria is the author of several YA novels, including INDIGO MAGIC, just released earlier this year (Corgi Publishing/Random House). She is here today to talk about her nonfiction publication: WILD INK: SUCCESS SECRETS TO WRITING AND PUBLISHING IN THE YOUNG ADULT MARKET



I was given the chance to read this book, and to interview Victoria, and I'm thrilled that I did. As a YA writer myself, I found the information in this book to be informative and think it will be very useful to those writers who are just starting out and unsure of what the next and best steps are. 

Broken up into eleven chapters, WILD INK gives you all the information a writer needs to help them write and publish the best novel possible. It tackles topics from the different YA genres to self doubt and other obstacles that promise to get in the way of any good writing. Victoria also gives authors a great look into the differences between traditional publishing and the increasingly popular avenue of self publishing. I especially loved the chapters with agent and author interviews. There is an immeasurable wealth of helpful information in this book. I definitely suggest WILD INK to any writer who is interested in writing YA. 

***Interview***


How did this book come to fruition?

So many great Young Adult (YA) books are out there waiting to be written, and understanding the ins and outs of the YA genre can give writers a big advantage as they set forth on their own writing journeys. Personally, I’m in love with all things YA, and I was fortunate enough to find a great publisher for Wild Ink: Success Secrets to Writing and Publishing in the Young Adult Market.

What was the process of creating the book like?

Like planting an enormous garden under a sizzling sun while chasing butterflies during an earthquake. Put another way, this book was a process of gathering, organizing and sharing what I’ve learned about YA. I also found agents, editors, and other YA authors to give their knowledge and perspective. As often happens with writing, there was more depth, more difficulty, and more fulfillment than I expected at the outset.

What were your favorite parts of writing the book?

Well, I believe that finding your voice is the most important thing every writer must do, and Wild Ink allowed me a wonderful forum to work with my nonfiction writer’s voice. It was also fun reaching out to agents, editors, and other YA authors, many of whom agreed to answer interview questions. And I loved selecting short excerpts from various novels to illustrate the chapters on writing.

What were the hardest parts of writing the book?

As usual, just about everything took longer than I anticipated, from coordinating interviews to writing the chapters on novel structure to describing the subgenres of YA. But it’s all done now, and I’m so happy with the results. 

Thank you so much for joining me today, Victoria! It was a pleasure. 

You can find Victoria online:

No comments:

Post a Comment