Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Revising Pity Party



I'm revising. I've been revising for a few weeks now and at certain points I'm thrilled with how the story is evolving. At other points I want to close my laptop and walk away. 

I'm finding that revising is an awful lot like pregnancy. You have huge bursts of energy where it seems like nothing can stop you, then you crash and want to do nothing but sleep. You are moody. One minute you're elated with the story you've created. The next you're frustrated, depressed and ready to cry from the lack of inspiration. You want to sleep, sleep and sleep some more. And then maybe, just maybe, you'll wake up and it will all fall perfectly into place. 

Okay, so maybe that's not exactly like pregnancy, but you get the idea. And there are definitely mood swings. Definitely. 

So yeah, last night I had a completely embarrassing revision pity party. I allowed myself to wallow in my self doubt and let myself believe my writing totally sucked, knowing that this morning I was going to shrug it off and move forward. This post is my way of letting go of that self doubt. 

And with that, my pity party is now over. Annnnndddddd back to revising!

The bonus of revising not actually being pregnancy is I can drink all the coffee and tea I want without feeling guilty. This I am grateful for.

6 comments:

  1. *toasts you with coffee*

    We all have those days. I've been revising and rewriting for months. So I know EXACTLY how you feel. This is also why I will never be pregnant or birth a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Revising can be so frustrating! You can't just write anything anymore. It's using a different part of the brain. Good luck revising!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *whispers* Sometimes I think pregnancy is easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HUGS my wonderful Triplet! You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete