Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Road Trip Wednesday: Pseudonyms


Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments on YA Highway, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

You can participate! Just answer the prompt on your own blog and leave a link - or, if you prefer, you can include your answer in the comments.

This Week's Topic

If you couldn't use your own name, what would your pseudonym or penname be?

My answer:

I'm already using a pseudonym--sort of. My first name is real, but my writerly last name is not. I decided on this for a few reasons:
  1. Anonymity. With the ability to find anyone anywhere in the world these days, I figured a little anonymity couldn't hurt. Plus, my husband's job demands some level of this, so it just made sense.
  2. The real last name is surprisingly difficult to pronounce to the general public. 
I think coming up with the perfect pseudonym was the hardest part of this. How do you choose a name that both represents who you are, but also gives you some privacy? I mulled over it for months before making my choice.

I do kind of wonder, though, how fun would it be to have a name like: Penelope Winterbloom or Constance Merriweather? (apparently my dream pseudonyms all contain some element related to the seasons)


What about you? If you were to choose a pseudonym, what would you choose? And if you're already using one, why?

4 comments:

  1. Internet security is certainly an issue, especially if you, or your spouse, have a job that requires a certain amount of anonymity. I don't have that problem (I just never discuss work online--at least while I'm not a full-time author), so I'm comfortable using my real name. Not that this isn't a fun exercise... see my article! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, your fake names made me LOL. Penelope Winterbloom is the best name ever. Hands down.

    I so hear what you're saying about anonymity. Now that I'm out there on the web, I can't go back. I hope I don't regret it one day. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bahaha! Constance Merriweather =) I'm still laughing. It makes me think of a little old lady with a bum chin, apple cheeks, and a little white bun. Or one of the fairies from Sleeping Beauty. I like your chosen name and I think there may be some wisdom to choosing a different surname for anonymity. I go by my maiden name in public, but for privacy sake I could use my married name I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a professor in college named Merriweather! I do like the sound of Winterbloom though. My mind starts fashioning images of what a person like that would be like.

    I was anxious when I first launched into the blogosphere with my real name. I'm getting used to it, though. I can definitely understand wanting to use a fake name for privacy and safety.

    ReplyDelete