Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Blank Page

It's exciting and daunting and a wonderful mixture of the unknown. The blank page is that magical beginning to something you just know is going to be the writing love of your life.


It doesn't matter if you're a plotter or a pantser or some combination of them both, the blank page can be as much overwhelming and terrifying as it is thrilling. Chances are that first sentence is going to morph into something completely different by the time you're draft is complete, but there's no denying that it's an important one.

The first paragraph of a brand new WIP can mold a character and a story in just a few short sentences. It can tell you nothing at all or everything you've been wondering about your plot. It's hard not to put a ton of weight into those first words.

On Friday, I'll be heading out of town for my very first writing retreat, and since my current WIP is now complete, I will begin working on my brand new shiny idea. I'm SUPER excited. I'm also super nervous. For the past two years I've been working on the same novel. Day in and day out, I've been writing and revising and tightening up a story that I've known very well. It's been a challenge and a blast all at once.

So starting something new is frightening beyond words. Am I ready? Do I know how this story is going to go? Am I going to hit a brick wall right away? Will my character cooperate and allow me to actually write her story? Will I want to bang my head against my laptop and cry from the lack of words flowing?

The answer to all of these questions is: YES.

It's going to be difficult, but it's also going to be fun. And even though it's a bit scary, I'm ready to turn that blank page into something worth reading. Bring it!

1 comment: